Department of Education: Application for New Awards; Native American and Alaska Native Children in School Program
The Department of Education (“Department”) is issuing a notice inviting applications for fiscal year 2023 for the Native American and Alaska Native Children in School (“NAM”) Program. The purpose of the NAM program is to award grants to eligible entities to develop and enhance capacity to provide effective instruction and support to Native American and Alaska Native students, including Native Hawaiian and Native American Pacific Islander students, who are identified as English learners (ELs). The goal of this program is to support the teaching, learning, and studying of Native American languages while also increasing the English language proficiency and academic achievement of students served.
Estimated Available Funds: $2,100,000.
An estimated seven (7) awards will be distributed ranging from: $275,000-325,00 per year.
Project Period: Up to 60 months.
This program does not require cost sharing or matching.
The following entities, when they operate elementary, secondary, or postsecondary schools predominately for Native American/Alaska Native children, are eligible applicants under this program:
- Indian Tribes.
- Tribally sanctioned educational authorities.
- Native Hawaiian or Native American Pacific Islander Native language educational organizations.
- Elementary schools or secondary schools that are operated or funded by the Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Indian Education, or a consortium of these schools.
- Elementary schools or secondary schools operated under a contract with or grant from the Bureau of Indian Education in consortium with another such school or a Tribal or community organization.
- Elementary schools or secondary schools operated by the Bureau of Indian Education and an IHE, in consortium with an elementary school or secondary school operated under a contract with or a grant from the Bureau of Indian Education or a Tribal or community organization.
Deadline for Notice of Intent to Apply: February 24, 2023.
Deadline for Transmittal of Applications: April 25, 2023.
Deadline for Intergovernmental Review: June 26, 2023.
Eligible entities should take the following steps to access funding.
- Application Submission Instructions: Applicants are required to follow the Common Instructions for Applicants to Department of Education Discretionary Grant Programs, published in the Federal Register on December 7, 2022 (87 FR 75045), and available at https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/12/07/2022-26554/common-instructions-for-applicants-to-department-of-education-discretionary-grant-programs, which contain requirements and information on how to submit an application.
For more information, contact Celeste McLaughlin, U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20202
Federal Register Notice is available here: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2023-02-09/pdf/2023-02736.pdf
Big Fire Contact: Amber Holland, firstname.lastname@example.org
BIG FIRE LAW & POLICY GROUP IS PLEASED TO PROVIDE YOU WITH THIS INFORMATION.
WE ARE HERE TO ASSIST BIG FIRE CLIENTS WITH PREPARATION OF MATERIALS OR FURTHER INFORMATION ON THESE MATTERS.