Big Fire Law & Policy Group LLP is a prominent tribal law firm providing legal representation and advocacy in a broad range of services, with an emphasis in tribal law and federal Indian law serving tribal nations, tribal business enterprises and tribal organizations throughout the United States.
Big Fire Law & Policy Group LLP is seeking candidates with 3-5 years of policy and advocacy experience with tribal governments to join our Washington D.C. office. The right candidate will have a significant history working with tribal communities, Capitol Hill, or regulatory agency experience and demonstrate excellent communications skills.
The right candidate will work with closely with other members of the Big Fire policy team to ensure the best information and advocacy for clients. This position is responsible to track and monitor key developments at the White House, in Congress and at federal agencies; attend and summarize Congressional hearings and press events; schedule and attend Congressional meetings and coordinate and prepare materials for those meetings. This position also works with other members of the Big Fire policy team to help manage client meetings, events, visits and D.C. client fly-ins. The position requires participating in and firm client development initiatives and client service meetings and activities.
The general, in-office responsibilities include conducting daily research and tracking on a variety of policy issues, developing advocacy materials, supporting outreach to appropriate politicians and administration staff, translating research findings into written products and talking points, drafting memoranda, white papers, legislation, and other policy documents, and managing projects with clearly stated goals and objectives, including timelines for implementation. The Policy Attorney responsibilities include supporting client-related work in the DC and other offices as assigned.
- For attorney applicants, active admission to any state bar, with the ability to become licensed in Washington D.C.
- For attorney applicants, J.D. from an ABA accredited Law School
- 3-5 years of experience in tribal government, policy, economic infrastructure, tribal taxation, and economic influence
- Demonstrated knowledge of the role, duties, and function of the White House, the U.S. Congress, Congressional committees, Congressional procedure, the legislative and regulatory process and oversight of the federal government by Congress.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the role, duties and function of federal agencies, the process for creating new federal regulations, and navigating federal agency websites/publications for updates and information.
- Experience working with national Native American advocacy organizations or interest groups
- Experience working in federal Indian policy
- Attention to detail and demonstrated ability to follow standard procedures
- Ability to effectively interact, orally and in writing
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities with a “roll up your sleeves” and team-oriented attitude
- Exceptional organizational skills, juggling priorities and adhering to strict deadlines
- First-rate academic credentials and references
- Superior research, writing and analytical skills and technology oriented
- In-office work attendance at our D.C. Office location
- Understanding of and adherence to law firm billing requirements
- Commitment to participating in the Firm’s marketing and public relations initiatives, including joining associations, securing leadership roles, and conducting webinars, seminars, and speaking engagements
- Experience with Microsoft Office and cloud-based computer environment
Big Fire Law & Policy Group provides excellent legal services and an outstanding client experience, balanced with a work atmosphere that promotes individual betterment and professional exceptionalism. We build incredible trust with our clients by encouraging our attorneys to be the best at what they do, and to do so in the best possible way.
Annual salary that is competitive, compensating for talent, expertise, and performance
Opportunity to participate in the Firm’s 401k plan
Medical, Dental, vision, LTD, life insurance, voluntary life insurance, and FSA
Opportunity to earn annual bonuses
Unlimited paid time off for attorneys (billable time requirement applies)
Work-life balance and employee wellness/self-care promoted environment
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Washington, DC office
Please send resume and cover letter including salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org